A Complete Guide on How Cloud Computing Can Be Beneficial for universities & Education Sector
The future of everything is cloud, and the education sector is no different. According to latest research, the global cloud computing market in the education sector has witnessed a compound annual growth rate of 26% in 2021 until now. To enhance productivity and improve overall learning experience, most educators in K-12 schools, colleges and even universities are adopting cloud computing.
With the pandemic giving rise to a steep increase in need for online lessons, digital lesson plans, increased focus on remote learning, cloud-based platforms are garnering more attention than ever. Most educational institutions are now understanding the huge benefits that can be reaped by moving their teaching to cloud-based environment.
Advantages of Adopting Cloud-Based Environment for Education
Enabling cloud-based environment makes knowledge sharing enriched, empowered and simplified. Cloud reduces the need for infrastructure, significantly reduces IT costs, improves transparency and enables effective collaborations. Cloud driven platforms offer better flexibility and helps universities customise requirements and scale up as they grow.
Let’s look at some of the benefits that cloud computing can offer, should you decide to switch from traditional systems.
1. Easy Access & Resource Availability : Right from lesson plans, grades, notes, course curriculum, lab notes, slides etc. can be made available anytime with cloud-based education platform. Tools required for teaching and learning both can be uploaded easily as well as accessed anytime by both professors and students. With cloud-based platform, it becomes easy for users to access materials regardless of the device or internet browser.
2. Scalability: Cloud based software helps educational institutions reduce costs and makes scaling up easy as compared to on-premise data centres. Cloud based approach helps the manage demands as the universities grow and increase number of users and facilities.
3. Superior Collaboration: Cloud environments makes it possible for educators, students and parents to stay on same page hassle free. It creates plenty of new collaborative possibilities. Real time collaboration which was a remote possibility is now very much a reality because of the cloud-based approach. It supports better student communication while helping power up remote learning through virtual classrooms. Cloud based environments allows universities to create teacher management portals easily. Cloud also offers flexibility to students, in case of missed classes, they can access the course material later without having to worry about missing out.
4. Diverse range of Students: Cloud based applications now makes it possible for students to finish their education. It also provides a fresh start for those students who haven’t fared well in traditional approach. Cloud based applications also make it easy for students to receive specific training pertaining to their areas of interest that could also improve their chances of employability.
5. Eliminates Expensive Textbooks: It is no secret that university level textbooks are rather expensive. One more major issue is the outdated information in textbooks. Having cloud-based textbooks can resolve this issue. Digital content costs are lesser when compared to physical textbooks. This can most definitely save thousands of rupees for students, and it also creates an even field for both lower and higher-income students. Another major advantage with cloud-based materials is that students will have access to latest learning materials at their fingertips.
6. Reduces Hardware/Software Costs: With on-premise servers, scaling up was not only tough but came at a higher cost when new servers have to be purchased, upgrading server room cooling, electric which finally results in higher maintenance costs. With a cloud-based model, universities do not have to face overcrowding, and other overhead expenses that comes with on-premise servers. It frees up valuable server room space making way for more admissions thereby allowing universities to grow.
7. Data Security: The world of education is no different when it comes to handling assets in a secure way. Data, images, information, updated content needs to be stored in a secure manner. Cloud based model enables user access control allowing only people with the right credentials to use the course materials. It also gives freedom in terms of allowing multiple people to access content at the same time. A cloud-based approach also allows students to share their assignments with professors in an easy and trackable manner. It also helps teachers create specific groups and assign projects where students can work collaboratively and in an effective manner.
Before switching to a cloud-based model, it is always good for your administrators to weigh the benefits against needs of the organisations and look for outcomes that best supports the learning environment.
Cloud computing has become the need of the hour and with the right cloud provider you can take your university learning to next level and reach newer heights. Cloud-based model promotes better learning environment for students and create a collaborative environment for professors.
As an Advanced Consulting Partner for AWS, Rapyder has high level cloud competencies, with consulting services offerings for edtech and educational organisations to Enable cloud computing adoption, migration and overall digital transformation, while ensuring the experience is both hassle-free and profitable. To Know more about Rapyder’s Cloud Solutions for Education Industry, Click here