Cloud has become the first choice for organizations in today’s business world; this is undoubted because of some unprecedented changes it brings to the working modal and infrastructure after cloud adoption. But to add more Cloud Security compliance is also a boon to the business industry to keep the entire architecture risk-free and secure. Let’s have a brief look at all about Cloud security compliance.
What is Security Compliance?
Cloud Security Compliance is about adhering to some rules and regulations if you move or operate in the public cloud. It also means following industry guidelines and laws applicable at the national, state, and local levels.
Cloud Security Compliance management ensures that organizations comply with regulatory requirements and efficiently track and report status. These laws and regulations are mandated to avoid risks regarding data protection.
Why Security Compliances?
Cloud security compliance is needed to ensure business reliability and to deal with the aftermaths of cloud adoption. Undoubtedly, Cloud adoption has become the trend in the market; but before cloud adoption, a few questions must be clarified, such as:
1. Knowledge about where your data is going,
2. In which countries your data would reach out,
3. What impact it can have.
Transforming to the Cloud platform brings laws and codes to be followed, which may be subject to data security, privacy, and information security. Many of them may enable Governments or others to access your data in the cloud. Complete readiness and awareness are necessary to determine the risk associated with your data during cloud adoption.
What role does security compliance play?
If we talk about Cloud adoption, Cloud compliance comes as a benefit where it projects the road map of where your data is processed, and compliance practice helps in addressing the following concerns;
- Data Access: Would you allow any random person to sneak into your house or private place? The same applies here as well. Cloud compliance also speaks about who can access or look into your data.
- Data Transfer: Where is your data being processed? This condition is similar to rules and laws applicable when you tend to change your country. Your data must abide by the government or regional privacy violation laws.
- Data visibility: You can take the proper steps when things are visible; similarly, having an eye on your data will allow you to regulate and manage when required or at the time of data breaching or cybersecurity attacks.
- Data Protection: “Your data is your responsibility,” Taking adequate steps is your end. Compliance practices might help you in achieving this.
TOP 5 AWS Security Compliances
Now let us look into different Security Compliances;
- HIPAA/HITECH: HIPAAand HITECH are closely related regulations made to protect your Personal Health Information from unauthorized access, violation, and intrusion.
HIPAA stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act which came into existence in 1996. HITECH stands for Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act, in 2009. The main aim of these two compliances is to secure medical information.
AWS security has been compliant with HIPAA since 1996 that covers its business entity to experience a safe and secure AWS environment to process, maintain, and store protected health information.
- PCI-DSS: The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) is a proprietary information security standard administered by the PCI Security Standards Council.
PCI DSS covers the entities that store, process, or transmit cardholder data (CHD) or sensitive authentication data (SAD), applicable to all the merchants, dealers, and businesses to ensure a safe transaction and payment processing. All the card brands and companies mandate the PCI DSS.
Amazon web services are certified as PCI-DSS Level 1 service provider, the highest level of assessment.
- FedRAMP: The Federal Risk and Management Program (FedRAMP) is a cyber security risk management program for procuring and utilizing cloud products and services used by U.S. federal agencies.
FedRamp uses NIST (National Institute and Technology) Special Publication 800 Series and requires cloud service providers to complete an independent security assessment conducted by a third-party assessment organization (3PAO).
FedRamp provides transparency between the U.S. government and Cloud providers. It promotes consistency and confidence in the security of Cloud Solutions.
AWS claims to be FedRamp compliant, which addresses the FedRamp Security controls and laws.
- ISO: ISO compliance means making up to the requirements of ISO standards without the formalized certification and recertification process. It stands for International Organization for Standardization.
Major ISO standards highlight quality management, I.T. security, service quality, and environmental influence.
By acquiring ISO compliance, organizations can ensure sustainable growth in their business operation. I.T. can help to maintain product consistency and improve performance.
ISO standards are recognized as trustworthy by organizations worldwide and promote market value.
AWS possess certification for compliance with ISO/IEC 27001:2013, 27017:2015, 27018:2019, 27701:2019, 9001:2015, and CSA STAR CCM v3.0.1.
- GDPR: The European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) protects European Union (E.U.) individuals’ fundamental right to privacy and personal data protection. The GDPR encapsulates robust requirements that raise and systematize data protection, security, and compliance standards.
AWS is committed to providing services and resources to customers to help them comply with the GDPR requirements that may protect and track their business essential data and credentials.
AWS services enable you to implement your security measures the way you need in compliance with GDPR. In addition, GDPR ensures the under-way confidentiality, integrity, availability, and resilience of processing systems and services.
This blog can help you briefly understand Cloud compliance and its requirement. We have also tried to cover the most relevant information regarding the top 5 AWS security compliances.
We hope you found this helpful information; kindly share this with your social circle and help them know more about this topic.